What is radon?
Simply put, Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that that perks up out of the ground. It is invisible and has no smell or taste. The gas, if trapped in your home, in a high enough concentration can cause Lung Cancer. According to testing completed in 1999 by the EPA and the American Lung Association radon gas in a home is the number one leading cause of Lung Cancer in the United States among non-smokers.
Should I test for Radon in my home?Yes. Whether buying a new or existing home and in any part of the Metro area, testing is recommended. All homes have the potential to have dangerous levels of radon present including new construction. However the only way to truly know the Radon concentration in your home is to have it professionally tested.
I’ve tested my home. Now What?Once you home has been tested you have a few options depending on what the concentration level is. If your concentration is measured at less than 2.0 pCi/L then you are relatively safe and should retest your home based on the recommendations of the EPA. If your home has a level that is between 2-4 pCi/L then the EPA recommends that you consider “Fixing your Home”. If your results are 4.0 pCi/L or higher, the EPA recommends that you “Fix Your Home”. The fix recommended by the EPA is typically the installation of a Radon Mitigation System. These systems and pricing for them can vary depending primarily on how the radon is entering the home in the first place. Almost all homes can have their Radon concentrations lowered to levels close to those of outside air. Special Note: There are several sources of information available regarding Radon, its effects and the methods by which to mitigate. The only source we recommend is the EPA publication: EPA 402/k-09/002 Home Buyer’s and Seller’s Guide To Radon
* Information for Fact and Myth was provided by the EPA, in the January 2009 edition of Home Buyer’s and Seller’s guide to Radon. For more information on the EPA and Radon visit epa.gov/radon